Dynamic Variation:

Outer Banks Marriage License Info

marriage star

Make it official. 

Marriage licenses are issued by the Register of Deeds located in Manteo. The following items must be presented:

Prior to visiting our office, please complete the marriage license application by selecting the MARRIAGE KIOSK link. 

This application stays in our system for 15 days. Click here to access the Marriage Kiosk 
  • Both applicants must personally appear at the Register of Deeds Office.
  • Applicants under the age of 21 must present a certified birth certificate
  • Both applicants must present a valid government picture ID card (driver's license, passport, etc.) that includes date of birth information.
  • Both applicants must provide their Social Security number, or an affidavit which indicates that you are not eligible for a Social Security number.
  • Click here for the  affidavit 
  • If your previous marriage ended in divorce less than a year before, you will need to bring a paper copy of your divorce decree. If the divorce was more than a year before, you will need the month and year of the divorce.
  • Applicants under the age of 18, please contact our office at 252.475.5970 for additional requirements

Upon issuance, your marriage license is immediately valid for 60 days.   

The fee for the marriage license is $60.00. We accept credit/debit cards, cash Exact Change, or money orders, made payable to the Dare County Register of Deeds.  Please note that there is a 2% surcharge for credit card purchases. 

Marriage Licenses are issued between the hours of  8:30 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. We ask that you be here no later than 4:30 if possible.

Please contact the town in which your ceremony will be held regarding any additional permits or restrictions.

Town of Duck - (252) 255-1234
Town of Southern Shores - (252) 261-2394
Town of Kitty Hawk - (252) 261-3552
Town of Kill Devil Hills - (252) 449-5300
Town of Nags Head - (252) 441-5508
Town of Manteo - (252) 473-2133
Cape Hatteras National Seashore Recreational Area - (252) 473-2111