Your Guide to Dare County Tourism

  • Tourism provides 13,100+ jobs in Dare County, employing 1/3rd of our citizens.

  • Annual Dare County tourism generates more than $102 Million in State and Local tax revenue.

  • Because tourism generates this revenue, each Dare County resident enjoys tax relief of $2,869.94 annually.
  • Visitor spending in Dare County surpasses $1.1 billion
  • Dare is #5 among North Carolina’s 100 counties in terms of visitor spending.
  • A 6% Dare County Occupancy tax (collected when visitors rent short-term lodging) is shared between Dare County and the six municipalities, the Beach Nourishment Fund, and the Dare County Tourism Board.
  • Dare County and the municipalities receive half (3% of the 6% Occupancy tax) to be used “only for tourist-related purposes, including construction and maintenance of public facilities and buildings, garbage, refuse, and solid waste collection and disposal, police protection, and emergency services.”
  • Of the Occupancy tax net proceeds received by Dare County and the towns, Dare receives 32% and the municipalities split the remaining 68%.
  • Beach Nourishment receives 2% of the Occupancy tax net proceeds.
  • The Tourism Board receives the remaining 1% of Occupancy tax, and 1% of a Prepared Food and Beverage tax. By law, 75% of these dollars are to be used to promote tourism and for the cost of administration. The remaining 25% are for programs or services needed due to the impact of tourism.
  • Occupancy tax dollars reduce your ad valorem property taxes significantly regardless of where you own property in Dare County.
  • During the 17/18 fiscal year, Occupancy tax contributed the following to Dare County, the municipalities, Beach Nourishment and the Dare County Tourism Board:
  1. Dare County - $4,745,880
  2. Kill Devil Hills - $2,924,649
  3. Kitty Hawk - $1,532,919
  4. Manteo - $705,950
  5. Nags Head - $2,419,391
  6. Southern Shores – $1,014,551
  7. Duck - $1,487,537
  8. Beach Nourishment - $9,890,970
  9. Tourism Board - $4,945,603

*View the Distribution of Occupancy & Meals Tax Collections.

tax distribution 2018

dctb logo