Come celebrate your holidays on the Outer Banks by attending our annual OBXmas Weekends. Each weekend, Thanksgiving through Olde Christmas (January 6), take part in over a month of holiday activities and fun for the entire family. You can also view a list of our Restaurant hours and openings for this Winter. Below are a few signature events happening this December. Visit our events page for a full list of upcoming celebrations or watch Holiday Edition: OBX Daydream playlist.
- Winter Lights: Tuesdays to Saturdays in December; Friday and Saturdays in January. (Closed on Dec 24, 25, 31 and Jan 1); Stroll along enchanted garden paths and discover the joy of the season with holiday lights, sights and sounds transforming The Elizabethan Gardens into an illuminated winter wonderland. The radiant glow of the gardens, traditional holiday décor and fantastical displays are a true spectacle to behold.
- Annual Celebration Of The Wright Brothers First Flight: On December 17, the First Flight Society and the National Park Service (NPS) will continue the tradition of honoring the accomplishments of Wilbur and Orville Wright at the anniversary celebration of the first heavier-than-air, controlled, powered flight. More details to come.
- First Flight Holiday Markets: Enjoy homegrown, homebaked and handmade items at Aviation Park November 20th & 23rd, and December 7th & 18th. 10-2PM on Saturdays and 4-7PM on Tuesday.
- Jingle Jog Christmas Run: Enjoy a Winter morning on the Outer Banks as we run December 18, Oceanside through the quaint town of Southern Shores. Choose your stride and participate in the 10k Loop or Out & Back 5k. Bring out the kids to join the Little Elf ¼ Mile or Jingle Jog 1 Mile. Unique trophies for 1st-3rd place overall Male & Female in the 5k and 10k, Chip Timing, Event T-Shirt and Limited Edition Finisher Medals for all participants. Photo opportunities with Santa and post race refreshments and snacks.
- Hang with Santa and spread the holiday cheer with Kitty Hawk Kites crew. Free visit and pictures with Santa are just a few of the fun and festive things going on ... not to mention all the amazing holiday sales! Share all your Christmas wishes and have your picture taken with Santa at Kitty Hawk Kites in Nags Head on Friday, November 26th and Saturday, November 27th. Have some fun with Santa's elves and try out classic toys straight from the workshop on the second floor of Kitty Hawk Kites.
- New Year's Eve Celebration: December 31, The town of Manteo is closing the downtown streets so that everybody can gather for live music, family-friendly activities and an early ball drop for the kids. Local food vendors will be on site, and the downtown restaurants and bars will be open late. Topping it off is a full-on fireworks show, the largest in the state, choreographed to music. Don't miss Pickin' on the Porch, a concert featuring Breaking Grass inside the Pioneer Theater starting at 10:00 PM.